I finished them! Its amazing what you can do when you stay away from the Internets and just get in some quality knitting time. Don’t get me wrong, I actually really enjoyed knitting these socks.I had a bit of Second Sock Syndrome with these, which is actually pretty rare for me. I’m so happy I toughed it out though, the finished project is kind of awesome if I do say so myself, I’m pretty chuffed with them. I don’t know how practical they will be to wear but they look good!
The pattern is from The Knitters Book of Socks which I bought for this and a couple other patterns. Its a really great resource and goes over all aspects of sock knitting including yarns, fit and construction methods. I normally buy my patterns online so using a pattern from a book was rather foreign to me and I didn’t feel comfortable writing in it. My print-out patterns are normally covered in notes, if I print them off at all, sometimes I just work right off of my tablet. Yeah, I’m from the techie generation.
The lace was fun to knit and pretty intuitive after a couple repeats. Thank goodness for my katcha-katcha though, a life saving device especially when you find yourself knitting lace (and the click is just so satisfying). It went pretty fast all things considered, the resting rows went quickly I found I soon slipped into the rhythm of the pattern.
I knit these on 5 dpns which meant that I had one lace repeat per needle which made it easier to keep track of the lace. I hate knitting lace with my stitches all bunched up.
I used the twisted German cast on for the cuff which I really like, it make a great stretchy yet sturdy edge, just what I want in my socks.I worked 15 rows of ribbing and 3 pattern repeats of the chart for the cuff and then 2 1/2 repeats for the foot and I really like the fit achieved as a result.
The yarn was lovely to work with, nice a springy and had the perfect amount of stitch definition. In the skein this colour honestly didn’t wow me but I really liked the name so I decided to give it a go. Once I started knitting with it and saw how the subtle verigation worked beautifully with the lace serving to enhance rather than detract from it I fell in love. The yarn also did not bleed at all when it went for a little swim in some soak when I blocked them which really impressed me.
Pattern: Veil of Rosebuds by Anne Hanson from The Knitter’s Book of Socks
Yarn: Indigodragonfly Merino Nylon Sock in Not a Suitable Date for a Mormon
Needles: 2.25mm wooden 5″ dpns (5 of them)
On Rav: Jezebel
I’m really pleased with how these came out. Unfortunately its still wool sock weather here so they will be getting a bit of wear despite the fact that its June…
I’ve got some exciting news coming up in the next couple weeks and a fair bit of work to do to make that happen, but its all good!